I believe I am typical of the common person who joins in January filled with guilt and horror over the kilo’s they’ve gained for their sins in the past year. I am probably also typical in that it starts with fireworks and fizzles into a mere *poof* within a month.
Last year was extraordinary in that I actually WENT – well for 8 months anyway. I can take no credit for my determination. You see, I had some help from a higher power, i.e. A person with a camera. You all know that shot that shows your every bulge, the double chin, the batwings, the muffin top … oh dear Lord… all of those in ONE photo is enough to shock anyone into the parallel universe of gym bunnies and lycra – which is where I ended up, (minus the lycra and more of a guinea pig than a bunny, but at the gym none-the-less.)
I was so horrified by "the photo” that I actually became “one of those people” who have a gym routine, and something miraculous happened – I LOVED IT. (Not enough to ever wear lycra though.)
However, tragedy struck in that we went on holiday for about a month, which in itself was not tragic, it was awesome, but the tragedy was that I lost my gym mojo and it remained hidden for the balance of 2010.
Have you ever tried to GO BACK to gym… No? Well, it’s flippin’ difficult! As much as I know in my head how great it made me feel, the beckoning of, well, anything else really, felt more enticing than facing that treadmill. I know that there are people who will look down their noses at me and sneer “Treadmill? Hit the streets with the fresh air!” – but potholes, pavements and pedestrians don’t rate up there with me when I want to run. You may not understand – but that’s how it is.
So, here we are in 2011. I have been to gym two days in a row *faint* and that familiar *love/hate* thing is beginning again. So, today I am going to remind myself WHY I love going:
- I feel like I can conquer the world when I am finished (or at the very least, possibly the dishes)
- I feel lighter (only in step… but its going to happen!)
- I feel happy!... I realise this is like an hormonal thing, but who cares! Who doesn’t want to feel happy???
- I love that I have energy – more than normal even.
- I drink water!!! Now if you know me, you will know I hate the stuff. But I know its good for me and I do drink lots of it when I exercise.
- I love the music and meeting (or maybe just greeting) people there and getting to know them
- I love seeing I have a semblance of a muscle on my upper arms and calves!
- I love going to Woolies afterwards and finding really healthy food for supper. (The logic here is that I avoid shopping later, because we all know how much I love shopping…NOT!)
So next time I feel like gym is too much of a schlep…I’m going to remember “the photo" and read this “Note to Self” –” then give myself a good @$$-kicking, and send myself off to join the bunnies.