Friday, April 26, 2019

OOooo Marelize!! - Cafe de Langues

In my continued commitment to learn Letzenbuergish, I signed up for Cafe de Langues.

For those who don't know what that is, (which was me a few weeks ago, but I signed up anyway), it's basically a "Language Cafe". There are tables set out, each with a facilitator who is a native speaker, then you have a table full of learner speakers with them. The idea is that the learner speakers attempt to converse with one another in the new language, and the facilitators are there to help you if and when you become unstuck with a word, or phrase or grammar, whatever.

On Tuesday evening, I skipped ever so happily down to the commune, brimming with enthusiasm. Imagine my despair when it was two facilitators (really wonderful, friendly ladies) and only two learners, me and one other lady.

We sat at the pub, a nice chilled and familiar environment, we ordered something to drink, they all ordered water, and I joked and said I needed wine. (Note: I wasn't really joking).  I ordered water.  That was when the carnage started.

2 facilitators + 2 learners =  focussed attention! 

I was about to take my first swig of my Spruddelwaasser (sparkling water) when the one lady turned to me and asked me something in Luxish. At that moment, I felt like I was in Std 7 and my maths teacher had just asked me something, and I had no freaking clue what the question even meant, let alone how to answer it.  That was just the beginning...


Panic.
Intimidated.
Shock.
Horror.
Humiliation.

After 80 minutes, I was toast.

I won't lie - I did not skip enthusiastically home. In spite of the patience and kindness of those two lovely ladies, I felt defeated and humiliated, and wondered what the heck I was doing. It was not fun.

Fast forward to last night which was the second get-together. I tried so hard to think of reasons why not to go: I had to cook (!), I was tired, it was too late.... but there was no good reason, other than that I would have to go through all of that again. So, I went.

Walking down the road, I sent what was probably in hindsight, quite an emotional voicemail plea for prayer to some people. It would be awesome if they could pray that I would just suddenly know the language, but since I am a realist, I asked them just to pray for peace for me.

On arrival, it was again, only two of us, myself and another older gentleman this time. We sat in the pub again, I ordered my drink in Luxish, and although I stammered a bit and needed help, I remembered a lot more of what I know and didn't feel like a deer in headlights.  Dare I say..... I actually had fun!?  God is kind - and I think this episode probably gave him a bit of a chuckle!

When I left, some of the "usuals" where in the pub, so I went and said hello, asked them how they were, and told them what we were doing - all in simple Lux sentences. I doubt it all made sense - but they are so kind, and I think they like that we try!

So bring on next month - I should know a bit more vocab by then!







3 comments:

  1. Go Lisa! I think you're amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are very brave! A) to so honestly and entertaining kingly share your plight. B) to persevere ♡ I am sure that it will suddenly become easier as you progress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man, i laughed so hard at the .gif in this post. It captures so well what I can only imagine your feelings at the time. Lis, you are so incredibly brave to keep going and learning - I was so utterly overwhelmed when i was there - NOT ONCE did i even attempt to speak. I take my hat off to you sis!

    ReplyDelete

So, what do you think?

Reverse Culture Shock & Difficult Questions

The days are moving on and soon we will be home home. There seems to be a common thought coming through from friends there and here - Prepar...